PDT Sports Report
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met Thursday in Columbus for its regularly scheduled August meeting, which marked the first board meeting of the 2013-14 school year. The following are highlights from the meeting. The complete set of meeting minutes will be posted later at OHSAA.org.
- The board received a recap of the OHSAA’s annual new administrators workshop, which was held Tuesday and attended by 137 school administrators from around Ohio to learn about OHSAA bylaws, sports regulations and member benefits.
- The 2013 OHSAA Foundation student leadership conference will be held October 1 at the Ohio Union on the campus of The Ohio State University. Information is posted at: http://www.ohsaa.org/members/2013leadershipconference.htm
- The board approved the winter and spring sports tournament divisional alignments and representation with the exception of track and field, which will be presented at its September meeting. The information will be posted at: http://www.ohsaa.org/members/sptdivis13.htm
- One member school was penalized recently for committing infractions of OHSAA bylaws or sports regulations. The infractions list is always included in the complete meeting minutes posted at OHSAA.org, but media may request the list in advance of the meeting minutes being posted by emailing Tim Stried at email@example.com.
- The board reviewed the list of member schools for the 2013-14 school year, which includes 821 high schools and 756 7th-8th grade schools. Of note, there is one new school, Columbus Patriot Academy, and there are three fewer schools: Berea and Midpark combined into one school, while Marion Catholic and Bedford St. Peter Chanel both closed.
- The cross country regional tournament sites will be the same as 2012 (Youngstown Boardman High School, Tiffin Hedges Boyer Park, Pickerington North High School and Troy Memorial Stadium). The regionals will take place Saturday, Oct. 26. The state championships return to National Trail Raceway in Hebron, Ohio, on Nov. 2.
- The volleyball regional and state tournament draw was conducted and will be posted on the volleyball page at OHSAA.org. The boys and girls soccer tournament draws will be conducted at the board’s September meeting.
- The state gymnastics tournament financial report was presented to the board, which operated at a $13,721 loss. The other winter sports state tournament financial reports were presented to the board at its June meeting. Of note, the OHSAA’s 2013-14 budget will be included in the fall issue of OHSAA Magazine.
- Several interim vacancies on District Athletic Boards have been recently filled or still need to be filled. In the Southwest District, the AAA representative is Scott Kauffman, assistant principal/athletic administrator at West Chester Lakota West. Also in the Southwest District, the AA representative is Doug Foote, athletic administrator at New Richmond. In the East District, the Class A representative is Dan Leffingwell, superintendent of Noble Local Schools. Also in the East District, the Junior High representative is Bob Hartline, principal at Strasburg-Franklin Middle/High School. In the Northeast District, the AAA representative is Paul Powers, athletic administrator at Aurora (formerly the AA representative). The interim District Athletic Board representatives were appointed by the District Athletic Boards and approved by the Board of Directors to serve during the 2013-14 school year. Vacancies needing to be filled include the AA representative and the junior high representative in the Northeast District, as well as the AAA representative in the Southeast District.
- The manuals for each of the OHSAA’s fall sports are posted on the respective sports page at OHSAA.org.