Ryan Scott Ottney
PDT Staff Writer
NEW BOSTON — New Boston School on Monday auctioned its property on Stanton Avenue, which went to Rubyville Community Church with a bid of $45,000. The church reportedly purchased the property as a gift to Evangelistic Outreach of Ironton, to move its operation to New Boston.
Stanton Avenue has been part of New Boston School since it was created in 1893, as a one-room school building on Stanton. In 1913, Oak and Stanton schools were opened and the high school opened in 1917 on Glenwood Avenue. In 2008, voters approved a local tax levy to pay 13 percent of the cost for a new pre-K through 12 school building on Lakeview Avenue. The remaining 87 percent was paid for by the state of Ohio. Ground was broken in April 2011, and the new school opened for students in November 2012.
With the three buildings empty, the district sold the Glenwood High School property to the South Central Ohio Educational Services Center, and scheduled Oak and Stanton schools for demolition by Solid Rock Construction of West Portsmouth. The district will keep the property on Oak Street, but sold the property on Stanton in an auction Monday morning.
New Boston Superintendent Mike Staggs conducted the auction on the front steps of Stanton School. He said only two parties attended, and it was over within a matter of minutes. The bidding started at $20,000 and ended with a winning bid of $45,000 by Rubyville Community Church to relocate Evangelistic Outreach from Ironton to New Boston.
“Tentatively, what we are looking at is building Evangelistic Outreach offices there on that property. We’re just now starting to meet with builders and architects and that sort of thing,” said Calvin Ray Evans, Pastor of the Rubyville Church and Director of Evangelistic Outreach. “We do everything from publish books; we send out Christian literature every month. We also mass produce our DVDs and CDs. Just multiple things. Also we ship bibles all around the world.”
He said the organization has outgrown its facility in Ironton. Even though they are still in the very early planning stages, he expects it will be a 6,000-square-foot building on Stanton. Staggs said Solid Rock Construction will begin knocking down the Stanton School building on Thursday to clear the way for Evangelistic Outreach.
“We’re thrilled that the property will be used and will be a positive addition to the community. It will bring jobs to the community,” Staggs said. “That area needs a nice, new, fresh building. I think it will be a great thing for the village.”
Members of New Boston Village Council were also pleased to see the neighborhood redevelopment.
“I really was concerned about that property being bought soon, and then they came along. It’s going to really be nice for that area and I think they are going to be a big positive player in our community,” said New Boston Councilman Mike Payton. “They wanted to come to New Boston, and that speaks well of our community and everyone who lives here.”
Evans said many of their outreach volunteers already come from Scioto County, and he is thrilled to join the New Boston community and help improve the neighborhood.
Ryan Scott Ottney can be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 287, or email@example.com. For breaking news, follow Ryan on Twitter @PDTWriter.